According to a recent Automotive News article, the idea of hiring for a product specialist is intended as ‘an emerging model that some other dealerships have adopted to put customers at ease.’ Product specialists work on a fixed salary as opposed to hitting monthly sales numbers, allowing them to focus all of their energy on finding the best car for customers.
How to Attract the Right Product Specialist
An increasing number of dealerships are hiring product specialists, yet since this newly adopted position is still in its infancy at dealerships. Most hiring managers don’t yet know how to effectively attract the type of job seekers suitable and willing to fill this position.
Before you begin the hiring process, there is one critical factor for attracting qualified candidates to fulfill your product specialist roles – product specialist job descriptions. Most young job seekers aren’t looking to get into traditional auto sales, so it’s important to highlight the fact that you’re hiring for a product specialist position to drive more interest in the millennial market. Let job seekers know this key difference in the product specialist job description and post.
How to Post Your Job:
Here’s an example of a Product Specialist job description:
Job: Product Specialist
Company: Awesome Automotive Group
- 401K, medical and dental insurance, paid time off, etc.
- Any other benefits that your dealership may offer to employees
- Assist customers in selecting a vehicle by asking questions and listening carefully to their responses
- Direct clients to online tools available for reviewing vehicle options, packages, features.
- Prepare and present demo vehicles so latest technology is enabled and ready for display (Bluetooth, navigation, green fuel options, hybrid tools, etc.)
- Explain product performance and benefits
- Describe all optional equipment available for customer purchase
- Build strong rapport with customers
- Perform high-quality, professional and knowledgeable presentation and demonstration of new/used vehicles
- Work closely with Sales Manager on pricing tiers associated with different models & their respective technology options
- Assist with lead generation by managing incoming email leads & set appointments for vehicle demonstrations all over email and text communication
- Prepare email collateral for clients in anticipation of scheduled appointments, making sure clients are informed before they walk into the dealership
- Base + bonus compensation
- Enthusiastic with high energy throughout the sales workday
- Prepared to mentored by senior sales managers and grow
- Eager to learn about the automotive industry and help customers
- Ready to hit the ground running on learning new vehicles and products
- Outgoing and resourceful with a friendly personality
- Have quality customer service skills
- Possess strong communication skills with customers and team members