Welcome back to Chicago, Lord Stanley!
Last night, the Chicago Blackhawks made history by winning the Stanley Cup final for the third time in the last six years, beating the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-0. Something has to be said for, what everyone’s saying, this dynasty of a team.
What do the Blackhawks have that other NHL teams do not? What makes up such an award-winning team, year-after-year?
It’s the process the team follows and the people they bring into the franchise.
Every year, the National Hockey League presents the Conn Smythe Trophy to the most valuable player through the entire playoffs. This year, the award was given to the well-deserved defenseman, Duncan Keith.
“There is nothing that Duncan Keith doesn’t do as well as or better than everyone else in the league,” said captain Jonathan Toews. Keith set a franchise record of 18 assists in the postseason by a defenseman. He also became only the fourth non-goalie to log more than 700 minutes of playing time in a playoff year.
These qualities, such as determination, drive, hard work etc., are the competencies that the Blackhawks look for when recruiting for a Stanley Cup-winning team.
The same goes when it comes to hiring for your business. You look for key characteristics specific to that open role. Also, you follow a hiring process that begins with interviewing and ends with hiring in order to get that person through the door.
Most hiring managers are lost when it comes to this process. Yes, they interview and hire, but there’s a much better way to organize this routine and guarantee the right person gets the job. Let me introduce Hireology.
The Hireology Process
1. Candidate Sourcing Tools – Hireology integrates with industry leading job boards, social media channels, and branded career sites to help you source and attract qualified applicants based on your job requirements, company location, and other data.
2. Pre-Screening Surveys – Hireology offers the SmartRank Survey, a pre-screening tool that helps focus your attention on the top applicants so you can move forward with only the best resumes.
3. Interview Guides and Scorecards – Hireology’s behavioral based interview guides efficiently measure your candidate’s skill, will, ownership, and fit for your job. Hireology tailors job specifics interviews to your unique role and helps you manage a consistent interview process.
4. Candidate Assessments – Review a candidate’s behavioral priorities, job fit, and skills test results to round out your top candidate’s profile and further validate them as the best person for the job.
5. Employee Background Checks – Reduce your hiring risk by conducting background checks, criminal reports, or employment and education verification all directly inside the platform.
6. Reference Checks – Hireology partners with SkillSurvey, whose automated process holds the candidate responsible for collecting feedback from their references. You’ll receive timely and honest responses about their past job performances to help predict future work performance.
7. Reporting and Analytics – Ensure your team’s hiring success through reporting and dashboards to manage hiring performance. Metrics allow you to measure your organization’s hiring efficiency to hold your team accountable to results.
Follow this process and think of the exact, specific competencies you’re looking for in a candidate. Following a consistent process with people you know are the right fit will lead you in a Stanley Cup-winning direction!
Want more advice on how to hire a medal-winning team? You need to implement the right process, right person mentality. We’ve got a (free) eBook dedicated to just that.