Inspiration comes in many forms and from numerous places. It helps guide us when we’re stuck in a rut and need a little extra boost of encouragement; like when you’re trying to work at the officeÉon a Friday.
If you’re a hiring manager, you understand the pressure and urgent need to find the best person for the job in a hurry. This can create the perfect recipe for a poor hiring decision, which is the last thing anyone wants while under this type of stress. Finding a candidate who is the perfect fit for an open position takes time and in order to make a smart hire, occasionally it’s wise to take a step back, breathe and enjoy some inspirational quotes from some wise people.
Advice from the clever minded…
The next time you’re feeling stress while making hiring decisions, think about what these brilliant businessmen and women once said about employee selection:
- “Do not hire a man (or woman) who does your work for money, but him (or her) who does it for the love of it.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “The competition to hire the best will increase in the years ahead. Companies that give extra flexibility to their employees will have the edge in this area.” – Bill Gates
- ‘People who are passionate about and good at what they do tend to also be pretty good at cutting to the chase.’ – Aline Lerne
- When you’re in a start-up, the first ten people will determine whether the company succeeds or not. Each is 10 percent of the company. So why wouldn’t you take as much time as necessary to find all the A players? If three were not so great, why would you want a company where 30 percent of your people are not so great? A small company depends on great people much more than a big company does.” – Steve Jobs
- “Never hire someone who knows less than you do about what he’s hired to do.” – Malcolm Forbes
- If each of us hires people who are smaller than we are, we shall become a company of dwarfs. But if each of us hires people who are bigger than we are, we shall become a company of giants.” – David Ogilvy
- ‘Hire character. Train skill.” – Peter Schutz
- “You cannot push anyone up the ladder unless he is willing to climb it.” – Andrew Carnegie
- “If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs.” – Anonymous
- ‘You can have the best strategy and the best building in the world, but if you don’t have the hearts and minds of the people who work with you, none of it comes to life.’- Renee West
Still stuck on making certain hiring decisions? Check out our complimentary eBook below and discover how you can build a better team for your business.